Apply Indian Visa from Canada
India's Ministry of External Affairs has declared a suspension on issuing any kind of visa, encompassing electronic visas (e-visas), to Canadian citizens. As a result, Canadians won't be able to secure a visa to visit India for the time being.
If you are a Canadian citizen planning to visit India for tourism, business, or medical purposes, you can conveniently apply for an Indian eVisa from Canada. The eVisa system allows travelers to obtain their visa online, eliminating the need to visit an Indian embassy or consulate in person. This article will guide you through the process of applying for an Indian eVisa from Canada, provide information on processing times, and answer commonly asked questions.
What is the Indian eVisa for Canadians?
The Indian eVisa is an electronic travel authorization that allows Canadian citizens to enter India for various purposes, such as tourism, business, medical treatment, or attending conferences and seminars. It simplifies the visa application process by eliminating the need to visit an Indian embassy or consulate in person.
Types of Indian eVisas available to Canadian visitors
There are Five types of Indian eVisas available to Canadian visitors:
- e-Tourist Visa (eTV): This visa is suitable for tourism, recreation, sightseeing, visiting friends or relatives, or short-term medical treatment in India.
- e-Business Visa: The e-Business Visa is intended for Canadian travelers who wish to engage in business activities such as attending trade fairs, business meetings, or exploring business opportunities in India.
- e-Medical Visa: If Canadians need to visit India for medical treatment, they can apply for an e-Medical Visa. This visa allows entry for medical reasons, including medical consultations, treatment, or specific procedures.
- e-Medical Attendant Visa:Designed for individuals accompanying patients who are undergoing medical treatment in India. This visa permits up to two attendants per patient to apply and travel to India.
- e-Conference Visa: Intended for individuals participating in government-organized conferences or seminars in India. This visa grants permission specifically for attending the designated event.
Requirements for eVisa Holders Entering Indian from Canada
Canadian citizens holding an Indian eVisa must meet the following requirements for India visa:
- The passport used for the eVisa application should have at least six months of validity from the date of arrival in India.
- The eVisa must be obtained before the journey begins. Visa on arrival is not available for Canadian travelers.
- The purpose of the visit should align with the type of eVisa obtained (e.g., tourism, business, medical).
- The traveler should enter India through one of the designated airports or seaports authorized for eVisa entry.
Documents required for the Indian eVisa application for Canada
When applying for an Indian eVisa from Canada, the following documents are generally required:
- Valid passport with a minimum of six months' validity from the date of arrival in India.
- Recent passport-sized photograph with a white background.
- Scanned copy of the passport's bio page.
- Additional documents specific to the type of eVisa being applied for.
India e-Visa Application for Canadians
When applying for an e-Visa to India as a Canadian citizen, you will need to provide the following necessary information:
- Personal Details: Full name, date of birth, gender, nationality, and passport information.
- Travel Details: Intended arrival and departure dates, airport of arrival, and purpose of visit (e.g., tourism, business, conference or medical treatment).
- Contact Information: Valid email address and phone number for communication purposes.
- Passport Details: Passport number, issue date, and expiry date. Your passport must have a minimum validity of six months from the date of arrival in India.
- Photo and Biometric Page: You will need to upload a scanned copy of your passport's photo and biometric page.
- Supporting Documents: Depending on the purpose of your visit, you may be required to provide additional supporting documents such as a letter of invitation, business documents, or medical documents.
It is important to carefully review and fill in all the necessary information accurately to avoid any delays or complications in the application process.
How to Apply for the Indian eVisa from Canada?
To apply for an Indian eVisa from Canada, follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Select "e-Visa Application": On the website's homepage, click on the "e-Visa Application" option under the "Apply Visa" section.
- Choose the appropriate eVisa category: Select the relevant eVisa category based on your purpose of travel.
- Complete the application form: Fill out the online India visa application form with accurate and up-to-date information. You will need to provide details such as your personal information, passport details, travel itinerary, and contact information.
- Upload required documents: Scan and upload the necessary documents, including a digital passport-sized photograph of yourself and a scanned copy of your passport's bio page. Ensure that the documents meet the specified size and format requirements.
- Pay the visa fee: Pay the applicable India visa fee using a valid debit or credit card. The fee amount depends on the type and duration of the eVisa you are applying for.
- Submit the application: Once you have completed the form and made the payment, review all the information you have provided for accuracy. Submit your eVisa application.
- Receive the eVisa by email: After the application is processed and approved, you will receive your Indian eVisa via email. Make sure to check your email regularly, including the spam folder, as the eVisa is sent electronically.
Indian eVisa processing time from Canada
When applying for an Indian eVisa from Canada, the processing time can vary depending on the selected option. There are two processing options available:
- Normal Processing: This typically takes around 3-5 business days for the eVisa to be processed and issued.
- Urgent Processing: If you require your eVisa more quickly, you can opt for urgent processing, which takes approximately 1-3 business days.
What do Canadian citizens need to do after receiving on electronic Visa for India by email (eVisa India)
After receiving your Indian eVisa by email, it is essential to print out a copy of the eVisa approval letter. This document must be presented to the immigration authorities upon your arrival in India. It is advisable to carry a printed copy, although some immigration checkpoints may accept a digital copy on your mobile device. Along with the eVisa approval letter, you should also carry your original passport with at least six months of validity remaining from the date of entry into India.
Do children also require an electronic visa for India?
Yes, children also require an electronic visa (e-visa) for India. The e-visa system applies to individuals of all ages, including children. An e-visa is an electronic travel authorization that allows foreign nationals to enter India for tourism, business, or medical purposes. It is mandatory for both adults and children to obtain an e-visa before traveling to India. The application process and requirements for children are generally similar to those for adults, although additional documentation, such as birth certificates or parental consent letters, may be required.
Can the Indian Online Visa for Canada Be Extended?
No, the Indian Online Visa for Canada cannot be extended. The Indian Online Visa, also known as the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA), allows Indian citizens to visit Canada for short-term stays of up to six months. Once the ETA is issued, it is valid for a single entry and cannot be extended. If a person wishes to stay in Canada beyond the authorized period, they would need to apply for an India visa extension or a different type of visa through the appropriate immigration channels in Canada.
Can I apply for an Indian eVisa from Canada?
Yes, as a Canadian citizen or resident, you can apply for an Indian eVisa from Canada. The Indian government offers eVisa facilities to citizens of many countries, including Canada.
What documents are required for an Indian eVisa application?
The specific documents required may vary depending on the type of eVisa you are applying for (tourist, business, medical, etc.). Generally, you will need a scanned copy of your passport's biographical page, a recent passport-sized photograph, and supporting documents related to your travel purpose.
How long does it take to process an Indian eVisa?
The processing time for an Indian eVisa can vary. Typically, it takes around 3-5 business days, but it is advisable to apply well in advance to allow for any unforeseen delays.
What is the validity period of an Indian eVisa?
The validity of an Indian eVisa depends on the type you apply for. For example, tourist eVisas are valid for 30 days, while business eVisas are valid for 60 days.
Can I extend my stay in India on an eVisa?
No, it is generally not possible to extend your stay in India on an eVisa. The eVisa is valid for a specific duration, and once it expires, you are required to leave the country. If you need to stay longer, you may need to apply for a regular visa through the Indian embassy or consulate.
Are there any restrictions or conditions for an Indian eVisa?
Yes, there are certain restrictions and conditions associated with an Indian eVisa. For example, eVisa holders are not allowed to engage in journalism or media-related activities while in India. Additionally, there are limitations on the port of entry and specific regions that can be visited on an eVisa.
How much does an Indian eVisa cost?
The cost of an Indian eVisa varies depending on the nationality of the applicant and the duration of the visa. For Canadian citizens, the cost of a tourist eVisa is USD $80.
Can I use an eVisa for all entry points in India?
No, eVisas are not valid for entry at all ports of entry in India. You can only use an eVisa to enter India through designated airports, seaports, and land border checkpoints. It is important to check the list of eligible entry points before planning your trip.
Is it necessary to carry a printed copy of the eVisa while traveling to India?
While it is not mandatory to carry a printed copy of the eVisa, it is recommended to have a printed copy or a digital copy accessible on your mobile device. It can serve as proof of your travel authorization if needed by immigration authorities.